CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Correction

Not to Poo Poo the book that I worte about in the previous post, but it's bull.
They bought groceries, they bought essentials (like coffee, toilet paper, internet access, cable TV etc) Humpf! I buy less than they did in this book. The criticims that I read was that the author was in debt she owned an appartment in NYC and house in Vermont. The critic said that the author woke up one morning and realized that the $50, 000 nest egg in the bank wasn't enough to retire on so she wrote this book. I'm dissapointed. It would be much better if they hadn't bought anything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You wanted them to dumpster-dive for groceries? Though I agree that internet access is not a necessity. Well, maybe for work, I dunno.
I read about that book in Maclean's and really want to read it. I know I can learn from it. I'm waiting for it to come in at work... not to buy it, of course, ha ha.

Hilary said...

Well I think the whole book is supposed to be a commentary on consumerism. However if she's out at the Piggley Wiggley buying Stouffer's Lean Cuisine, pizza pops and oreo's- then where's the lesson in that? I think it would be better to live in the bush for a year and produce your own food etc.

Actually there was a guy who spent several years up north by himself in the 60's and 70's. He built a cabin by himself with only hand tools that would have been used pre-1900. The show is on PBS sometimes. I'll try to figure out who he was.

Anonymous said...

Cool, do let me know. Sometimes, I think to myself, I just wanna ditch this crazy life and go live in the woods, fend for myself, make my own home and get my own food, go a bit bush-mad. But then I think, I'd be so lonely. So I don't do it.