CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

It's like spotting Tom Cruise for a psyc student

So I fired off an email off to the writter of one of my textbooks. I was given an assignment to define about 100 words from the text. However there isn't a glossary or an index. So the only way to find the terms was to flip through over 500 pages. Page by page, scanning each page. Everyone in my tutorial complained that it was a horrible textbook. I mean how can you write a textbook and not have an index??

So I googled the 1st author. Stanley Coren. I knew he is a prof at UBC. Surprise! I totally know him-well not personally. www.stanelycoren.com/bio.htm He is a very well known dog trainer. He's always on TV, he use to have his own show. He's even been on Oprah!

So I gave my suggestion on how he could improve the text on the next edition and then I quickly told him the story of Salem. You see at one point I was so frustrated with her I was seriously thinking of sending her back to the pound. I flipped through my psyc texts and did a little further research in some psyc journals. I applied Dr. Coren's (and Pavlov's) dog training techniques to Salem. She is very stubborn- her best trick is playing fetch and dropping the ball at my feet. But she has much better manners now- the training continues. One day I might be able to have curtains hang in my windows again.

So I got a reply from Dr. Coren telling me that his publishers thought that indexes and glossaries take up too many pages. He said that he is trying to get an index in the 7th edition and said to give Salem a pat on the head from him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a concept: indices (singular = index). They take up too many pages? It's not as though they are wasteful pages. Silly textbook publishers. Watch them make a way for you to pay an extra 50$ for the textbook: Now With Index!

Ryan and Sarah Sutherland said...

That link didn't work for me...is he the guy who wears the cravet?

Hilary said...

well if by cravet you mean a hanky tied around his neck like they did in the 70's yes. that's the guy. just google his name, you'll find him. Oh and apparently most students don't use glossaries (or is the pluralized form glossari?) I love them. I almost always use them. publishers indeed!

Anonymous said...

Holy crap that man likes dogs! His website is littered with pictures of himself and his dogs, and the wallpaper is dogs dogs dogs (dalmatians dalmatians dalmatians). Crazy! The site won't let me put a link in but you can copy-paste this into your browser I guess: http://www.stanleycoren.com