CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 02, 2012

Does it Float?



So I've been doing the math, and a float home (and moorage) would cost about the same as an apartment (and strata fees).  Hmmm.  A float home could be kinda nice.  Nice views, feed the ducks, see seals from your couch.  Peaceful, but still in the middle of it all. 

However, I just watched a couple documentaries on the Sumatra and Sendai tsunamis.  The mental picture of a tsunami hitting is still pretty fresh in my mind.  Maybe a float home is not a good idea.  Plus, the smell of diesel in the air, and I would never swim in the Fraser River, and the front door in the picture above seems to be missing something.  Plus I'm not sure about the whole maintenance thing, and I'm not sure how mortgages would work on a float home.  Do these things sink?  What about mold?  All things to think about.  The float home above is listed for $78,000, so definitely an  affordable option. 

Why am I thinking about these things?  In the next month I have a meeting.  It's like a professional development thing where I decide the direction I want my career to go.  I need to have a goal- shouldn't been too hard for me right?  I love goals.  I make goals to make more goals.  Problem is any job I apply for in the future needs to be part of my professional development plan.  I can't just spur of the moment pounce on whatever job posting comes up.  So I need a plan.  Option A, would mean eventually moving to Victoria for a job that appeals to me quite a lot.  Again fricken tsunamis.  Will all of Victoria be destroyed?  How far from downtown would I have to live to survive a tsunami?  Is it true that there are a lot of sailors in Victoria?  (and now the theme from Top Gun is in my head). How does the cost of living compare?  Googling these questions has really got me nowhere. 

Option B is to plug along as I am.  Not having an ambitious plan looks bad, it means I might as well not plan on anything different for the next 2 years, and it's unlikely that I would be selected for any jobs that I do apply for.  Lack of ambition seems to be frowned upon- and really, that's not me.  I've been very good at cooling my ambition lately.  I don't even look at job postings everyday anymore as much.

Option C, I go for something in between, making my goal to have a very specialized job, that would limit my ability to do anything different after that.  It would also probably limit me on where I could work.  Maybe there is an option D, which would involve changing to something completely different, but I don't think I want that right now.  So where do I see myself?  I don't know.  I know that I want to move out of the valley, and back to the city for a while.  I want a bit more hussel and bussel.  Can't I just put that as my plan?  That's the only thing I know for sure.  So somehow I need to make the work plan fit with my original plan of living on the other side of the river. Or on the river, whatever.

0 comments: