CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

If a car rusts in the forest...

Today I went along a different part of the park that I usually walk in.  I had never gone down this path because it said it was the way to the dog park.  I assumed that it was not far down the path, and so never went that way.  Today I decided I would check it out.  My dad and step-mom have adopted a puppy, and I have asked if I can take him for a walk sometime or dog sit.  I thought I should check-out the dog park for him.  Turns out, it's about a kilometer down the trail.  My eyes spotted this up the hill from the trail I was on. ...



Judging by the trail that encircled the car, I wasn't the only one that wanted to check it out. 



It had clearly been there a long time.  There were no seats left, the tires were gone, the interior was gone as well.  I couldn't even tell what make of car it was, looks older than the 80's. 



No motor, no hood. I'm not sure how it got here. There is a road about 50 meters up the hill that runs parallel to the car. In between there are a whole lotta trees. I figured someone must have dumped it, and it was too much trouble for the parks workers to pull it out of there.
Ferns growing in the middle of it.



 This made me think of a scene in Footloose, where the characters go to an abandoned train car that was covered with quotes from books that were banned.  This car was covered in writing, but none of it was Hemingway.  Then I started to think about Christopher McCandless- the guy that Into the Wild is about- he sold everything, and went travelling.  He eventually ended up living in an abandoned city bus in the middle of the forest in Alaska.  He made some stupid mistakes and ended up being too weak to save himself and he died in the bus. 



Lots of people hike in to see the bus.  Hiking in Alaska is on my bucket list, although I'm not sure I need to visit this sad bus.  I've seen pictures of the inside, it's still full of his belongings.  It's all been left as a monument to him, and his way of life.  So then I started wondering if someone had died in the car in front of me, and maybe it was a sad accident that I just didn't know the story of.  And then I left, because I was getting sad over a rusty car in the forest.

0 comments: