CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Things I see

Originally I had planned to do one blog post from all the pictures I've been taking when I'm out and about.  Now I realized I have way too many pictures, so I'll spread it out.  



Ellwood park/Fish Trap Creek- now the most boring walk to me. Flat, no challenge and when the weather is nice, too many people. The selling points- it's in between work and home



Mill lake, also a pretty boring walk.  I've only been there once and found it was full of slow walkers.  I hate slow walkers, especially when they take up the whole walk-way.  Mill Lake is full of them.


The Matsqui Trail.  It's a trail/ elevated dyke walk along the river.  Hands down the most uncomfortable place to walk.  The parking lot under the Mission bridge was busy, but it was full of rather rough looking men that appeared to be living in their cars.  A few other cars cleared out as I started my walk, and I was the only person walking the trail.  I didn't feel very comfortable walking in this mecca for the homeless.  I did a quick coupl-a Km's and got out of there.  The only redeeming part of the walk was this view was of the bridge.


My new favorite place to walk- Aldergrove Lake Regional Park.  There are 2 main trails, one is 11Km's for horses and people that is mostly flat and a 7 Km trail in the forest that has lots of ups and downs.  I come here at least 3 times a week, I look forward to it so much.  It's not a busy trail, but it's not so deserted that I feel unsafe.  15 minutes from my house, and take 45 minutes to walk the 7Km is perfect for after work.   


I prefer to do the 7 Km trail, because of the variety.  It has sections that are so steep - dubbed by me the Asshole Hill, and bridges going across streams, and mossy trees, and tons of skunk cabbage.  I've been doing a fair bit of running here lately.  I just thought I would try running and see what happened, I ran way further than I thought I could.  I've never been a runner, so this is very surprising to me. 


Lots of wild flowers.  I have no idea what this one is, I've never seen it before, it has leaves of three, so it might be poison oak.


Skunk cabbage.  I love it.  I like the smell, I like how bright it is.  It may be the raw foodist in me, but the cabbage part of it looks really yummy to me.  I wonder if it's edible?


This walk was in Silverdale. It had moments of being the best walk/hike I've done and moments of being the most boring. I did some reading about the trail 17Km's in total, with lots of options to shorten the walk if needed.  I headed out, only to find the road closed, with a big chunk of the trail closed.  In fact, I couldn't even find the trail.  So instead I walked along the river at the Stave Lake Dam and found some shorter trails to walk.  The shore of the river was covered with bits of salmon bones left over from the fall.  Nasty looking teeth for a fish!

Then I drove looking for somewhere else to hike.  I ended up at the other side of the Stave Lake dam.  Again, a bunch of the trails were closed, but I managed to get about 8Km in.  The trail was flat and boring or it was super beautiful, and really, really steep.  I took a lot of pictures, I'll post them next time.  It's not a trail I would do after work being too far, and pretty much deserted.  But I think it would be really good once they reopen it.

I've been thinking lately that one day I'd like to have a dog to take with me. Maybe some day.





0 comments: