CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 07, 2012

Katimavik

Last week the federal government cut the funding for Katimavik.  I was so sad to hear this.  I participated in Katimavik in 2001, I traveled to Ontario, New Foundland and Manitoba.  It was one of the most significant experiences in my life.  During that time I had was exposed to so many new things, people and experiences.  Some were bad- like having a mother screaming on the front lawn at me at 1am because she thought I had brought her 17 year old son to a bar (I didn't, but I did try to get him to leave); and some were good- like going into abandoned mine shafts to collect and release bats, working at a food bank and meeting some of the craziest Newfies. 

More importantly, I figured out what direction I wanted my life to go.  Before Katimavik, I was living with my dad, feeling guilty that I had to stay there so he wouldn't be alone.  I had failed Chemistry 101, and was seriously reconsidering if I was smart enough to become a veterinarian.  That was all I ever wanted to be, and if I couldn't do that, then what was I going to do with my life?  It was in Manitoba where it all came together.  The house leader was Kim, she was older than our two previous house leaders, she had lead an interesting life, and somehow we started talking about psychology and it just clicked.  I don't even remember how I decided that I was going to go back to school and get a psych degree, but I know it has a lot to do with Kim.  I was also volunteering at a thrift store, a food bank and a senior's day program.  I realized how much I liked working with people and helping people.  Before Katimavik, I would have never have imagined that I would have held the jobs that I did in the last 10 years. 

I don't know where I would be if I hadn't had the opportunity to step out of my life and try on a new life.  For seven months, I was free to do what I wanted, and try new things.  I did so many things that I would never do now.  I saw lots of bands, I went to every bar in town- in every town I went to, I went swimming in the middle of the night, I got kicked out of a bar (although it was really just an garage that was an illegal bar), I partied in a drug house, I learned and performed traditional Newfie square dancing, I went show shoeing, kayaking, hiking, I shoveled snow for 8 hours a day, I learned French, I went to tons of community events ... I had fun.  Most importantly, I made good friends,  thanks to facebook all 12 of us are still in contact.  Some more than others. 

The budget for Katimavik was only 15 million a year.  Participants volunteered 40 hours a week for 9 months, the amount of work that participants do in each community they visit is worth the 15 million dollars.  I'm so disappointed.  My hope is that the Conservative government will be tossed on their arses and the new government will bring the program back.       

0 comments: