CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Thoughts on Whitney Houston

Yes, I realize it's been a while since Whitney Houston died.  I've been thinking about writting this post for a while, and have written it in my head about 4 times.  I'm processing some recent family drama, it's all interconnected.  Old drama, new drama and Whitney Houston.


Warning, this is another heavy post.


So my mom died when I was 12.  I didn't know she was dying, not because I wasn't told she was sick, but because I didn't understand what I was told.  So anyways, on a fateful day in December 1992, my sisters and my oldest sister's boyfriend drove us to the hospital where my mom was staying.  Blah blah blah.  And then a nurse came in and said she was dead.  Blah blah blah.  Funny thing is, the blah bah blah, is because I don't remember the things that happened in between.  So in between people crying, I remember the hospital being really really quiet.  I remembered that I wanted to leave, and that I wanted to go see the nurses station becasue they had a dog there.  And I remember that the nurses station had the radio playing.  I remember that the song that was drifting down the hallway when my mother died was Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You.  As a result, the song means a lot, and at the same time I sort of hate it.  I never told anyone about the significance this song holds for me.  Not for any reason, it just doesn't come up in conversation.  Know one ever asked if my mom died to music. 

The week that Whitney Houston died, I heard that song a lot.  I found myself being strangely upset that this washed up has-been crack head died.  I"m not a huge fan, and I hardly ever listened to her in the last 10 years.  But I can never think of Whtiney without thinking about my mother and vice versa.

After these last two posts, you're going to be happy to read about kale.  Aren't ya.

Edit. turns out I have one more depressing post to go after this.  2012 is shaping up to be a real piece of shit year.

0 comments: