CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 26, 2012

Sprout You!



Okay, well when I took this picture I had the best of intentions of following through.  I bought a sprouting kit and this was day one.  I planned to take a picture every day until they were ready to eat.  Whatever, I'm sure you can imagine that. 

Sprouting is really really easy.  All you do it soak the seeds for a few hours and then twice a day you rinse and drain on an angle.  In 3-4 day you have sprouts.  Above is a jar of beans, peas and lentils just waiting to sprout.  On a salad, let me tell you, they are so amazing!!  I have also grown sandwich sprouts; a mix of clover, alphalfa and something else. 

Why?  I would buy sprouts from the store, and they would go bad before I could use them all.  I would feel bad, so I wouldn't buy them again.  Or worse yet, I would try to juice the sprouts- yuk.  This way I can grow a smaller quantity when I want them.  Plus it's dirt cheap.  The hardest thing is waiting for the sprouts to grow.

**Important**
Have you fallen in love with dates?  I am so in love with dates!  (frozen banana, frozen blueberry, date, kale smoothie is to die for with a bit of "chocolate"protein powder.)  But I never mentioned this super important thing.  Always look inside the date before you eat it.  Every now and again, I find a date with little bugs or bug eggs in it.  It's gross, but the dates must be good if bugs want to make it their home.  I'd rather have bugs in the odd date, than pesticides.  I ate a lot of dates before I read that you need to check them.  I don't want to think about how many bugs I've eaten.

0 comments: