CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 22, 2007

What to do before you turn 30?

Ever wondered what you should be doing now? As I come to the last few weeks of school, random people have been giving me advice on what I should do in my post-university life. Most of the advice reflects them- usually what they did at 27, or what they wished they had done at 27. All good and well if I wanted to be them!

So in an effort to find direction, I looked to the world wide web. What I should be doing really varies according to who you ask. According to http://www.kiplinger.com/, there are 8 things I need to do:
1. Identify your goals
2. Start an emergency fund
3. Pay off credit cards
4. Start investing
5. Establish credit
6. Set up a strategy to pay off student loans
7. Take calculated risks
8. Travel
What? Did I ask a banker or something? All very sensible things to do. Amazingly, I've actually done about half of those things. But not exactly a thrilling life.


I want a second opinion. So according to http://www.bankrate.com/ I should:
1. Drive a wickedly cool car, even if you have to rent it
2. Date against type
3. See the world
4. live in a cool place
5. If you're going to drink a lot, do it when you're young
6. Take risks with your job
7. do something physically adventurous
8. take your parents out for dinner
9. Do volunteer work
10. use this decade to go to extremes

Ugh, I don't like this list either. why?
1. I don't drive because I'm anti-car
2. that implies that I have a type and that I am aware of it
3. ok, that one's ok
4. New Foundland and Ontario where cool in the winter...
5. I don't really drink
6. you mean like not triple checking that I am giving someone the correct meds?
7. ok, that one's ok too
8. whatever!
9. sure
10. I think I'm over going to extremes

So, in some ways the web has failed me. But with all the advice I've been getting lately I have a rather impressive list of things I do NOT want to do. Most people have been telling me to apply for grad school- let's not. Or sell everything I own and travel- but let's be honest no one is going to buy my crap. One of my co-worker thinks that I need to go to India before I can do anything. I decided the flights are too expensive, so I watched a couple Bollywood movies instead. Didn't really change my life.

0 comments: