CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 24, 2007

How big is your footprint?

I'm not asking what size shoes you wear, but how big your ecological footprint is. It's a calculation that determines your use of the world's resources. The smaller the number the better. I have been kinda wondering what my number is and I finally found a quiz! In an ideal world you should have a number near 1.8. Here are my results:


CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 1.1
MOBILITY 0.2
SHELTER 1.6
GOODS/SERVICES 1.4

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 4.3

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 8.8

GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON. WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 2.4 PLANETS.

I have a lower than average score because I'm a veggie, don't drive and because I live in high-density housing. However, according to this quiz, I still consume too much. I don't think this is the best quiz because it doesn't ask very detailed questions, and some of the multiple choice answers didn't fit me. It only takes 2 mintues to take the quiz.

http://www.earthday.net/footprint/info.asp

So what's you score??

1 comments:

Ryan and Sarah Sutherland said...

I can't believe that your footprint is too big! Is there no hope? I'll take the quiz and see what ours is. Apparently taking a long distance flight is the worst thing you can do. You need to plant 6 trees to make up for it.
I better go get a shovel....