CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 07, 2012

Challenge



If you were to take a peek into my garbage (god knows why you would want to) you would see fruit peels, bits of veggies, pulp from my juicer, almond milk containers and ... kitty litter.  I've been thinking that with the exception of the kitty litter, everything I throw away is either recyclable or compostable.  But I live in an apartment, so I don't have a composter, and the cats have not grasped the concept of using the toilet.  For a while I was flushing my juicer scraps, but I was concerned that I was going to plug it, so I stopped.  When I know I'm going to go to my dad's house, I'll store up the scraps that the chickens will like and I bring those with me.   

I feel bad throwing out stuff that I know doesn't need to be thrown out.  So I have given myself a challenge.  Ready?  My challenge is to not throw out anything except for kitty litter, and coconut husks and mango and avocado pits (cuz they don't break down very well).  Hang on.  Did I just announce I'm becoming a hoarder?

Nope, I'm going to try to either compost or recycle everything.  Is it possible?  I'm going to find out.

Here is the plan.  My freezer is empty except for some frozen fruits.  For now, I'm going to freeze all of my compostable scraps and then taken them in bulk to my Dad's.  I can already see the flaw in my plan.  Quantity.  My freezer is going to be packed full in less than 2 weeks.  My crappy city has a compost pick-up, but only for single family homes, and they don't allow for drop-offs..  For now it's a pilot project, and was supposed to be expanded this year, but nothing so far.  So I looked at other nearby cities, they don't do drop-offs either.  I cannot believe how hard it is to compost if you live in a condo.  Most cities that pick-up compostables, do not do pick-ups from multi-family complexes.  Considering more multi-family complexes are being built than single family homes, I think this will have to change. 

Worm composting is an option, but from my experience, worms are delicate.  Their home can't get too hot, or dry, or wet or cold.  I would feel bad if I killed them, and I would have to bring them inside in the winter to keep them alive.  Not really wanting to do that. 

I think I might have found an option though.  It's a community demonstration garden... with 7 compost piles on site.  I wonder if I can sneak in and compost bomb them?  I'm going to find out. 

Have any tips for me?  Do you have a compost pile, if so, can I come and give you my compostable bits?


0 comments: