CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 24, 2011

it's on

My car is loaded up with boxes. It's official, I am in the process of moving. This move is so different from last time. My last place required 2 months notice. I took my time packing and was really, really organized. I didn't want miscellaneous boxes, every box had a theme to it. I waited until the last moment to pack my kitchen. This time is pretty much the opposite. I made the decision to move on Friday, it's now Thursday and most of my stuff is packed. I have several miscellaneous boxes, and boxes that don't have any labels. I'm sure this will bite me in the butt in the future. I decided that I should pack all of my dishes and cutlery asap. I'm so busy with packing, that the dirty dishes were piling up. It's already my least favorite chore, so I am going 100% disposable until I move. I am giving myself a dishwashing vacation! But fear not. I bought 100% recycled biodegradable stuff with exception of the cutlery. I don't like wooden cutlery. One splinter in my lip was all I needed to learn that lesson!

I've been downsizing a lot. I would like to live in an ultra-modern minimist space. I am not there yet, but packing while watching Hoarders is a good motivator! I try really hard to stick to the rule that if you haven't used it in a year and don't have plans to use it immediately, then get rid of it. Only once or twice have I actually gone out and purchased the same item again. One was a juicer and the other was a manual food processor. The juicer was a mistake, I love it (all over again) but the food processor is so cheap that I have no regrets having to purchase it again. The replacement one is currently sitting in my "to donate" box. It's not worth storing it for the few times a year I use it.

There are a few big items I want to get rid of but there is always someone who thinks I'm crazy. I always feel trapped by my big belongings. I don't like asking for help, and with big furniture, I will never be able to move without help. So far I have said goodbye to my couch, bed frame and big coffee table. I'm thinking of getting rid of my BBQ for the same reason. It's like new- because it's undercover, and because I don't eat meat or put anything directly on the grill. I don't really need a full size BBQ. I'd be perfectly happy with a small one that I can also take with me camping. It's even harder to make decisions when I don't know what my future home will be like.

By the end of this I'm going to trade my bed for a foamy and have all my worldly possessions wrapped in a square of fabric at the end of my fishing stick.

0 comments: