CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Adventures in Groceries

Well it has been 2 months of gluten-free living. Only a couple of mistakes along the way, and lots learned. Thank goodness for the internet, there are so many resources and gluten-free communities out there. I have a new favorite blog, it is called "Gluten-Free Girl" The writer was miserable most of her life and thought she was dying. Then one day she found out she had celiac disease, changed her diet, and changed her life. She fell in love with a chef who changed his restaurant for her. Every week she writes about food, falling in love and living a full life. It's a great food website, check it out. http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/ Her cookbook (by the same name) is top of my wishlist.





Two months of gluten free eating has resulted in 2 months of sleeping through the night, no more sickness. Honestly, I have never felt better (with about 10 pounds mysteriously melting off). There are a few things I am really missing though. Every cereal in the breakfast aisle at Safeway contains gluten. Believe me. I literally started at one end of the aisle and read ingredient lists until there weren't anymore to read. Security probably thought I was planning on robbing the place. In despair, I have started shopping a little broader a field at specialty shops. I have found a good corn-flake cereal and have found a frozen bread I like. But what I've really been missing is oatmeal. Oats are gluten free but they are cross contaminated with other grains during processing. I have found a few online retailers of gluten-free oats, but the price is outrageous.





Today I went to a new grocery store. Maybe you've heard of it? It's called Save-On-Foods. Ha ha ha. There isn't one near my house, so I've never really shopped at Save-On. To my delight, they had all sorts of sections dedicated to food-freaks like me! I'm excited to try out the new foods I bought. The first is a sort of "Oatmeal"





"Ruth's Chia Goodness"
What makes this cereal different? Well it is made from Chia Pets! Remember that seed that you used to smear on your Chia Pet as a kid? Well turns out Chia is from the plant Salvia (found in lots of gardens including mine!) I honestly don't know if this is going to be good, but first thing tomorrow morning I am going to get up and make a bowl. Stay tuned for the official review....

And we're back. well I made a small bowl of Chia, I was expecting something that looked like oatmeal (because that's what is on the package.) The end product is dark brown, almost black seeds in a jelly-like muck. It reminds me of a kiwi fruit mushed up, the mouth feel is strange. The taste is tolerable as long as I keep reminding myself that it is good for me.

2 comments:

Ryan and Sarah Sutherland said...

I think you should also experiment with smearing the Chia stuff on your body and seeing if you can grow green hair :)
Make sure to post pics on your blog!

S

PS congrats on sleeping thru the night!

DANCE MONSTER said...

Way to go Hil! Have you tried those Rice Works chips yet? They say they are gluten free & made with brown rice and they are super yummy!!