CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, November 12, 2011

My only piece of actual art



A long time ago I blogged about a print I found at my local Value Village. I spotted it from about 10 feet away, and knew exactly what I was looking at. Inuit art!!! There was an old guy in my way flipping through the paintings. I hovered for a few minutes waiting for him to leave so I could snatch it. I was hoping so hard that he wouldn't take it. He probably left because I was making him feel uncomfortable with my intent staring!


I never got around to taking a picture of it. Well here it is. It's not signed, so I'm not really sure who it's by. I did a bit of researching online at the National Gallery of Canada and found an artist whose work is very very similar. I wasn't able to find the same print on Google, but she drew her figures exactly like this in the first 20 years of career (late 1950's and early 60's). Her name was Jessie Oonark, she lived a pretty traditional Inuit life in Baker Lake and didn't become an artist until later in her life. She had a pretty short career, by 1979 she had a surgery that took away her the use of her hands. I love this print. I like the simplicity and how it shows her everyday life (she lived on the land).

0 comments: