CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 09, 2011

Boredom

I'm still slowly reading through The Secret. Some good things have come from focusing on the positive things I wanted. It is a good reminder to focus on the positives in life, and go with the flow.

But somethings haven't worked out how I thought. I knew that at the end of my 12 week training I would be placed in a new office in one of three suburbs. I had prepared myself for having to commute over an hour each way for a month or so until I could find a new apartment. I was looking forward to being closer to friends and being able to jump on the skytrain and be downtown. After moving to the country and finding it difficult to socialize, I was really looking forward to the change.

Let me explain. I live the bible belt- it's a strange mix of Mennonites, Hudderites, Mormons, Sikhs and newly released parolees. Turns out super religious people have their own social functions within the church. I didn't really see myself joining a church to make friends- it seemed wrong. So I started a coffee social group, but got freaked out by a creepy dude that started sending me angry pseudo-threatening emails after what he believed was a date. That was pretty much the end of that. I made a list of activities I wanted to do : enroll in yoga and pottery classes. However, there wasn't any pottery studios in 30 km, and there is only 1 yoga studio in town- hot yoga- not interested. So then I decided I would volunteer! But that didn't pan out either. Every flipping volunteer organization is linked to a church! The SPCA is not looking for volunteers either. I could volunteer in the local prisons, if it didn't mean volunteering for my previous employer. Now I'm contemplating winter sports... curling? Oh god, I don't think I want to be that uncool.

This makes me wonder if I would have made it living in the high arctic. I won't ever know since I am pretty well committed to living in this province now. Although there aren't the same sort of religious communities there, so who knows?

It's been very frustrating. I look forward to work because my weekends are so boring unless I drive into the city. So you can see how I was looking forward to moving! On Friday I got an email telling me congratulations for the next 5 months you will be working in Chilliwack/Hope. Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Get me the fuck out of the bible belt. Going back to The Secret, I'm fairly sure this is not something I focused on. In fact, I was specifically told when I was hired that I was only hired to work in those specific three cities. This news came as a shock.

So I have 20 weekends ahead of me until I will change communities again. What to do? Will it be a long dark winter? (I have a mental picture of The Shining going through my head. Please don't let me end up like Jack)

I need a plan! There is a yoga studio in construction on the other end of town. I am enrolling. Even if it's crappy B.O. inducing yoga. Maybe I'll start swimming at the community centre on Sunday mornings- it's bound to be a ghost town then!

0 comments: