CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 07, 2010

Up

Sometimes a blogging gal just wants to test the dedication of her reading audience. I mean, can you really call yourself a true fan of my blog if more than a week goes by before you notice this amazing update??? Go ahead and look down at the bottom to see when I posted this. I'll wait.

What have I been doing in the mean time? Good question. Changing jobs, breaking rules, failed real estate endeavours of dilapidated properties, cheering everything Canadian, getting in trouble for breaking rules. Currently I'm waiting patiently for an announcement from my boss as to whether or not I will be working the day shift rather than graveyards. In the meantime, I began to reevaluate if financially, it would be better to move out of the Vancity area. You see, the government has proposed changes for first-time home owners. Gone are the 5% down days, thank you sub-prime lenders. The proposed changes would require first-timers to put down a ridiculous 20%. Given that the average price of a modest house is $500 000, that's a $100 000 down payment. I can't foresee saving that kind of cash.

So I started looking for jobs farther away again. My lease is coming up, so why not? I found a great job that pays a ton in the Northwest Territories. In a very small town of 1200 people. I have spent hours reading blogs to learn more about this town. I wondered if a single, vegetarian, gluten-free girl could make it in such isolation. I thought I might be okay as I am adept at the art of internet shopping. I was all set to apply but then I realized that in a small town, I would be faced everyday with people whose lives I may have changed in dramatic ways. Example, what if I did a house visit and wrote a report stating that a kid should be removed from the house. I would see those parents around town, with only 1 grocery store in town, it would be impossible to avoid. I think in time, I would feel very alone.

So I decided to not apply for this position, but apply for a similar position in a larger town. It would be an amazing experience and good for my career. I have a little dream that I will start a new blog, about my northern adventures. In my mind the experience will be like Northern Exposure. I'm working on the blog title. There are some amazing NWT blogs out there. Right now I'm reading Townie Bastard's blog. A newfie political journalist (who used to write the Clarenville Packet!!!) who moved to Nunavut. (Theresa, insert Micah joke here.) www.towniebastard.blogspot.com It's a little heavy on the Newfie politics, but still really good.

And my other favorite is a written by a musician/bartender and his partner who moved to Nunavut from Ontario. http://jordanandsteph.blogspot.com/ They are still in their early days, and have just discovered that curling is cool. Their biggest tip? Be social, don't hunker down just because it's -45 degrees.

And possibly the best blog I have ever seen http://newnavut.blogspot.com/. She chronicled her journey from the start. Sort of a "how-to" for moving to the arctic. The thing she wishes she packed more of? kitty litter! Who would have thunk? What coat to buy? She's got the answer.

Okay, so maybe you aren't so obsessed with the idea as I am. I have been thinking about doing this for the last 3 years. Believe me, these graveyard shifts give me the opportunity to do a lot of internet reading. But you never know, maybe you'll be hoping on a "First Air" flight to visit me one day. So read up.

6 comments:

Karen said...

I check all the time!

wow big exciting decisions to make. I hope you find the place that fits you. You will be a great addition to any town big or small.

Karen

Hilary said...

Karen you are a true fan. Thanks for hanging in there. That was a long stretch of nothingness.

Ryan and Sarah Sutherland said...

i'm a true fan too, loser

Buck'n Beaver said...

Hey I am a fan too! Can hardly wait to come visit you in the Arctic....xoxo

DANCE MONSTER said...

Me too!! Sounds exciting Hil. I will come visit you! :)

Jaime said...

Hey, I wandered over here through my visitor stats. Thanks so much for the kind words about my blog. Much appreciated! I laughed at what you said about Jordan and Steph discovering curling is cool. The 3 of us (and another couple) were on a curling team together this year, it was great. I'll pass your nice words along to them.

Jaime