CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Expensive?

This is the other comment I've been getting a lot.  Fruits and vegetables are so expensive.  At first I agreed with this, but now that I'm in my second month, I can see that this is totally wrong.  Each week I go the veggie store and spend between $20 and $30 that does me for the week.  This is the usual list:

  • 2-3 bags of apples
  • 1 bag of oranges
  • a bag of ginger
  • 6 lemons or limes
  • 2 heads of celery
  • 2 bags of carrots
  • 1 big bunch of kale/chard
  • 2 broccoli
  • 2 bunches of parsley/cilantro
  • 1-3 cucumbers
  • 1 bunch of bananas
On top of this, I spend about $10 per week on almond milk and maybe $5 a week on something else like tamarinf or raisons.  About once a month I stock up on nuts, vegan protein powder and treats like fresh coconuts, persimmons and vegan cheese, maybe $50 a month on miscellaneous items.  I never totalled up what I was spending on food before.  The gluten-free bread I used to eat was $6 per loaf, so I don't think it's an exaggeration to say I spent between $75-$100 per week in food before.  How crazy is that?  For me this is a huge motivator to keep on going.  Not only do I feel better, but I'm saving money.  I think it would be hard to justify eating raw vegan if it was crazy expensive. 

0 comments: