CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Light it up

Nothing like snow to get you in the spirit. Yesterday I celebrated the school closure by starting my Christmas shopping. I went to Ikea to get new curtains. Check, got em and love em. As usual I saw so many things that I just needed. I was very strong and didn't buy anything for myself.

Next is a trip to the giant box store without a soul to return the curtains I bought from them. Which brings me to my next public service announcement:

Switch to the new LED christmas lights. Every year we hear about the poor family whose house burnt down a few days before Christmas. Traditional Chirstmas lights heat up and can light your tree on fire. LED's don't get hot, so they're safer. But the real selling point is that they use much less energy. Traditional lights are huge electricity gobblers. So LED's are cheaper to run and are safer. I plan on making the switch. The giant store without a soul has 12 foot lengths for under $7. That's the cheapest I've seen so far. Unfortunatley last time I was there, they were sold out.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have awesome Christmas lights: they're a widget I downloaded for Dashboard on my Mac, so whenever I open dashboard I have a string of lights around my monitor that I can make coloured or white, and they can blink, flicker or chase, and they use hardly any energy at all and will never ever burn my house down. Fun! I just wich I could get them to show when I don't have Dashboard open, cos when I do I can't do anything else.
You are right though Hilary about LEDs. Right on!

Anonymous said...

we switched to LED's last year as well and after returning 4 of the 8 strands of blue icicle lights to canadian tire because they were half as bright as the other 4 we still now have 2 that are barely lit. this is of course on top of the fact that LED's are super dim to begin with. we are also left with a few bulbs that are burnt out (even though they are supposed to last like 7 years) because of course you can't replace LED bulbs. being that they are twice as much if not more especially for blue and white ones for some weird reason as the original ones i wonder if the money you save on power lighting those gets outweigh by the cost of buying the LED's. but good luck and a merry ho ho!!!

Anonymous said...

that's weird, cos I have LED lights on my bike and they are super super bright. I have had random people walking along the sidewalk tell me to 'turn off your f'n light, it's too bright!' One of the benefits of LEDs, apart from the energy efficiency and long life, is that they are super bright! Maybe not halogen bright, but that requires super-power.
Not being a home-owner yet though, I can't tell you where you can get bright Xmas LEDs... but you can get little turtle lights from MEC at 3$ a pop! And they have steady and flash mode. (This is not an advert, honest!)

Ryan and Sarah Sutherland said...

In Hong Kong there is an area called Sham Shui Po where it seems all they sell are LED lights and they are super bright! We always get sucked in to buying more flashlights. And when I say we, I mean Suds!
They don't call it Crappy Tire for nothun'!

Hilary said...

Golly! Who knew that LED lights would be so controversial?

I think that I will skip the Cdn tire lights and get them elsewhere. FYI the Cdn tire in new west is closing! I'm sad.

Anonymous said...

well if you are going to get LED's go to costco they are 2 for 15.99 the 70 bulb they are 12.99 for a single at CT. But unfortunately they don't sell the icicles. as for the bike light, francis' mom has that on her bike and it IS bright. I am not sure why this does not apply to christmas lights but here is an easy way to see what i mean. look up at the tower cranes in the city (yes i am very aware that it is tremendously sad that i am using this as an example) and you will see that you can hardly see them, especially the really tall ones. where as when they used to put traditional lights on them you could totally spot them being lit up.